The Worst Lipstick I Have Ever Tried

I was in CVS the other day looking at all the new seasonal beauty products when something caught my eye. Something that looked like Frida Kahlo’s face in the distance. Intrigued by this, I walked over, picked it up and held it in my hand & I thought, “Well damn! My poor eye sight was correct, it was Frida! She had a makeup brand? When? Is this something new?” Oh my god I was blown away. They had about 4 shades from what I could tell, so I quickly Googled to see what this brand was and if the item was cruelty-free. The brand is called Republic Nail (they are cruelty-free) and they actually create nail polishes all related to Frida’s artwork & color schemes. The only face makeup they seem to sell are lipsticks. Without hesitation, completely sold by the gorgeous packaging, I bought it. With tax, the lipstick price came to just under $9.00. Yikes.

I was so excited to try it out! Thinking in my head how this could be my new favorite lipstick, I bought a nice coral shade that could be perfect for everyday wear…..but…umm…

Despite its beautiful outer appearance & packaging…. the actually lipstick itself was garbage. I have never returned an item so fast in my life. Within an hour of purchasing this lipstick, I was back in line at CVS returning it. I almost kept it for the packaging, but quickly decided against that.

So what was wrong with thislip color exactly? The best way I think I can describe it, is taking a crayon and trying to apply it to my lips. If that makes any sense at all. It felt like I was applying some waxy stick that just tugged & pulled on my lips. Not really doing anything but that and that alone. Tugging. It was super chalky when I actually got some color out of it. It fell right into every line and crease on my lips. The lip color also had a super super super light sheer almost nothing pigmentation to it. Such a huge disappointment.

In the pictures below you can see the color on my hand. I had to press down so hard on my hand for even that little amount of color to appear.
image

image

So a few things went through my head like, did I get a bad batch? Are all the colors like this? Is is expired? Why was this so damn expensive when I have 2 dollar lipsticks that are way better than this? How would Frida FEEL about this!!?

All in all, I do not recommend this. If any of you have tried these lipsticks let me know! I’d love to hear your opinions.

Talk to you soon!

-Alicia

9 Comments

1. Cathy M
    February 25, 2017 / 12:57 am

I noticed this lipstick for the first time (yesterday) at CVS. At first, I was a bit skeptical due to the price but decided to purchase the pink shade called inspiración & I really like it! I was surprised how vibrant it turned out. It actually glides on smoothly and doesn’t bleed off my lips like other brands do. I plan to try another lipstick (called Catrina), which is a red/orange. 🙂

• Alicia
      Author
      February 28, 2017 / 12:59 am

really now ? That’s where I found it .. at my local CVS ! maybe I just got a bad batch or maybe the worst shade possible or maybe a really really old one ! glad it worked out for you. don’t know if I could come to terms with buying another one !

2. nancy
    May 4, 2017 / 11:57 am

i do agree that the color shade is not that pretty but i don’t think the other shades will be that bad.. like you literally just bought one color shade lipstick and based your opinion on only one lispstick..

• nancy
      May 4, 2017 / 11:59 am

i just noticed that this post is a year old lmaooo

• Alicia
      Author
      May 6, 2017 / 3:01 pm

Yes I did base it on one lipstick. My review was only on one lipstick. Lol. I honestly think it was just really old. It was like putting a glue stick on my lip. I have way better lip sticks for half the price. Give it a shot and let me know what you think !

3. Anaid Chrietzberg
    June 9, 2017 / 8:42 am

OMG, I am so glad that I wasn’t the only that was torn with this! I ended up buying all the shades CVS carried because I had a coupon but man, was I disappointed with the quality and color! I would like to think that Frida would’ve done it better! I would love to get my hands on a similar shade that she would wear but I think hers was a Revlon shade that’s been long discontinued.

• Alicia
      Author
      June 12, 2017 / 1:41 pm

YES ! Thank you for agreeing ! If Frida actually came up with the concept and design and not this company…. she would have totally done a way better job. Did you see the nail polishes too ? Tempted… but won’t buy ’em.

• Alicia
      Author
      June 12, 2017 / 1:44 pm

I thought I replied to this but the comment disappeared lol. Maybe it will show up. Anyway.. totally agree ! I can’t believe you bought all of them ? Did you keep them or return ? If Frida actually designed and came up with the concept for these, they would have totally been 100% freakin’ better, haha. Also, did you see they had nail polishes …. was tempted but won’t get ’em.

• Anaid Chrietzberg
        June 12, 2017 / 2:07 pm

Oh I definitely returned them all! I was so bummed though because the packaging was really cute. I had noticed their nail polishes but at that point I was so turned off by the quality that I didn’t even bother with them. Womp womp womp!